A tragic cleaning story involving ammonia provides a timely reminder for supervisors to review cleaning product safety with their cleaning crews.

A woman from Madrid, Spain, died after cleaning her kitchen with an industrial-strength cleaner containing ammonia, The Local reports. She was not wearing gloves or other protective equipment and her home did not have proper ventilation to disperse the fumes.

After cleaning for about two hours, the woman became dizzy and telephoned emergency services. However, by the time an ambulance arrived at her home she had gone into cardiac arrest and could not be resuscitated.

Ammonia is classified as a highly hazardous substance in the United States. Facilities that produce, store, or use it in high quantities must follow strict reporting requirements.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *