Cleaning Products can be dangerous (Ammonia).
A tragic cleaning story involving a common cleaning product (ammonia) provides a timely reminder for supervisors to review cleaning products safety with their cleaning crews.
A woman from Madrid, Spain, died after cleaning her kitchen with an industrial-strength cleaner containing ammonia, The Local reports. She was not wearing gloves or other protective equipment and her home did not have proper ventilation to disperse the fumes.
After cleaning for about two hours, the woman became dizzy and telephoned emergency services. However, by the time an ambulance arrived at her home she had gone into cardiac arrest and could not be resuscitated.
Ammonia is classified as a highly hazardous substance in the United States. Facilities that produce, store, or use it in high quantities must follow strict reporting requirements.
Take precautions when using cleaning products. Make sure you read the label and follow instructions. Products can be dangerous if not used correctly. DRD Cleaning Solutions has a trained staff that knows which products to use, when and where. Some products require enough ventilation when being used in order for indoor air quality to be safe.
There is always the option of purchasing or making green products. It may take some “extra passes” or some hard work when cleaning some areas but these products are worth it for untrained cleaners.
Some of the most common products that are used in households that may not be safe are listed below.
Bleach: toxic fumes, causes asthma, chemical pneumonia
Antibacterial chemicals (hand sanitizers): Kill good bacteria, linked to thyroid disease & muscle weakness
Scented candles & air fresheners: Have toxic ingredients, linked to cancer
Baby powder: linked to cancer, lung damage
Dry-cleaning chemicals: linked to kidney, liver and nervous system damage
We only 6 products in this article. We will write a separate article listing more common cleaning products that are dangerous to our health.